Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Endless G-Eazy

Within the last year, G-Eazy put himself on the map with countless tracks, albums, mix tapes, and just finished up his Island in the Sun tour. He also just released a new track that you should check out called "Lost in Translation."

Photo via G-Eazy's Facebook.






G-Eazy said he grew up in Berkeley and Oakland, California. Growing up, G-Eazy looked up to his aunt and uncle who were in local rock bands. He said that Berkeley, CA is a diverse town and the town shaped who he is today.

"I was around so many different cultures. Hip-hop was the dominant genre / culture at the time, so naturally I became a fan."

Of course those aren't G's only musical influences. He mentioned other artists like Nas and A Tribe Called Quest.

G-Eazy said he is always in the studio working. There isn't a lot of free time for G-Eazy, but if he isn't in his studio, he said he would be out with his friends.
"I'm currently working on some all original tracks and some new music videos, so stay tuned." 

Q & A with G-Eazy

  • How did you come up with G-Eazy?
I mean come on it's a cheesy name. I've been going by that since I was like 13 and the times were a little different then. I thought it was cool at the time. Obviously I've kinda grown and evolved as an artist, but I kind of just laugh it off now. It's a brand, and like any other brand, once you build it up it won't really matter. Think of Nike or Apple; 30 years ago those words didn't mean what they do today. They didn't make you think of what you think of now when you hear them. I'm sticking with it. I know it turns a lot of people away but I kind of don't mind that, because when they press play it gives them an unexpected surprise. So much of rap these days is predictable as can be. I see somebody's name and picture, and I can already guess exactly how they're going to sound, how they structure their bars, and what their beats will sound like. I hope to be a little more unexpected.

  • Do you write your own lyrics? Do you make your own beats?

Yessir since I was a baby, jk, since HS.


  • I loved the Endless Summer, what was your inspiration for that?

Thanks! Well the late 50s/early 60s are a fascinating time period in my opinion. I really enjoy a lot of the music and film from that era, and I think the culture was just really cool. Maybe it's a byproduct of kinda romanticizing the era my parents grew up in or whatever. But I feel like times were simpler back then. I also feel like that's a time period that's retained this sort of eternal cool. Like for instance, James Dean has never not looked cool, you know? And that's kind of what I want to do with my music, create something that will last.


  • Does anything inspire you personally?

Of course. Everything from architecture, to culture, to art, to people, to everyday experiences...
  • Who are your favorite artists?

In terms of… fine art? I’d have to say Keith Haring & Jean Michel Basquiat. That was a pretty awesome era, and they had a really dope scene going on in NYC at that time.


  • What are your favorite spots in New Orleans?

When we go out, we’ll hit up spots like The Republic, Ampersand, etc then usually land ourselves into one of our favorite dive bars like The Saint, or Snake and Jakes.


  • What do you like to do in your "spare" time?

Depends what you consider a job and what you consider “spare” time… but most of my time is spent in the studio. I’m perfectly content spending days on end working alone in my studio. Outside of that, I like to go out and party with our crew.


  • Tell me about your tour! How is it going?

Awesome, as always… Touring is great fun – I love traveling and getting to explore different cities, finding the dope spots to eat, and have drinks.


  • Who all have you worked with? Any memorable experiences?

To be completely honest – I don’t like to collaborate a whole lot with other rappers. I like to work with vocalists; I really like to put together melodic hooks because I feel they compliment my beats and make for stronger songs. I love working with my homie Greg Banks, and Erika Flowers. I met both of them living in New Orleans, and they’re both very talented.
  • Tell me about your blog.

My blog is basically my website...it's just where I keep everyone informed of everything G-Eazy.

  • How do you describe your music?

It’s constantly evolving and changing… but at this point I guess the easiest way to describe it would be to say – it’s a vintage pop sound, modernized and mashed up with hard hip-hop break beats, with a laid back flow on top of it. I’d like to believe my music takes people on an emotional ride, by telling stories that everyday people can find ways to relate to.


  • Why do you make music? Do you have any musical aspirations?

Because it’s my creative outlet – it’s how I express myself. I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to have found what I love to do at such a young age


  • Are you signed? Please elaborate.

I'm not signed to any labels, so no.


  • How many tracks have you released?

If you dig you can probably find like 200 tracks or so.


  • How many albums and mixtapes have you released?
Dozens, no seriously. I only want to count the last 2-3 though. The early stuff is pretty rough.


  • Are you in school? Depending on your answer, what did you go to school for? Where? Do you want it released?

I actually JUST finished my super senior year at Loyola University New Orleans. Happy to be done, finally!


  • Anything else you want to tell me?

Go hard, keep doing what you do.


  • Anything you want to tell your fans?

Don’t do drugs… stay in school. And of course, listen to G-Eazy.


Thanks G-Eazy for taking your time to interview with BGV.

You can check out G-Eazy on his facebook, website, and twitter
Locations of Site Visitors