Friday, November 18, 2011

Q & A with EQ (Nicholas Hunt)

EQ aka Nicholas Hunt. Photo via facebook.



How did you get started with music? When? Where? Why?

Technically I got started around five with the piano due to my parents enrolling me in lessons. But really until I started playing acoustic guitar in high school semi-seriously I had no real passion for music. That's when I started to sing, and using my voice is definitely my passion. My musical journey is a sort of long and confusing one haha. But I do engineer all of my own music, and I'm gonna have to say that's due to an earlier developed passion for computers and technology.


Do you play any instruments?
I'm decent at both piano and acoustic guitar, can play simple melody roles on electric guitar and bass as well. But typically I'm not an instrumentalist. I do like to play guitar a lot.

Do you make your own beats and write your own lyrics? If not, how is your music produced?
I've made a few beats in my time but typically I do not produce the music I vocalize over. I work closely with several very talented producers and that's how we do our thing. Typically I go to the same three or four dudes all the time, because they know how I work, I like their style and we've grown to have a lot of synergy. But as for the lyrics, yes, I write all my lyrics and self-record all of my vocals/mix em too.

How do you describe your music?
Haha. Bittersweet.

What sets your music apart?
The combination of influence that shines through in me is unique for the 'scene' or 'niche' I fall into in hip hop. I'd say thats the main thing someone who is musical would say sets my ish apart.

How was your show with Chris Webby? How'd you get hooked up with him?
Promotors over at NICE E.N.T like my style, so they usually hit me to open for the shows they organize. Shouts to Team GED on that.

Who else have you worked with?
I opened for XV and Mac Miller, both artists I enjoy a lot umm.. XV is definitely the man, he showed the most love to that part of VA out of any rapper of his echelon or near his echelon that's come through so far. But it's understandable that Mac can't hang around the venue after the fact cause it'd probably be a legitimate security issue.

Any favorite artists?
Absolutely. Blu is the motherf**king man. Cole is incredible too. Oh my god, Kendrick Lamar. Section 80 was stupid dumb. There's an incredible amount of artists surfacing, under the surface and that have definitely made their way into the mainstream in hip hop right now who have movements that I actually support. Everybody is really doing their thing. I think Take Care is going to most likely be an incredible album, from what I've heard so far it's hard to believe it won't be better than Thank Me Later. I think Drizzy is playing his position incredibly well. Frank and the Weeknd are hard not to have on repeat some of these nights.

Do you have a producer? Are you signed? Do you want to explain?
No. I'm not signed. I work with multiple producers musically, and am sponsered by Mischief Clothing at the moment..@mischiefclothing, they're huge twitter noobs, but holla cause they have sick designs for sure. But really I've just been grinding as hard as I can and have a good relationship with most anyone who does anything around here when it comes to hip hop. At the beggining it's hard to tell how you'll be recieved even when you know how hard you're capable of working... but people really seem to like my material. I've been very suprised by who's reached out to me recently.. things are realer every day, and luckily word of mouth has really been my best friend over the last six months due to my work ethic. I've just been dropping as much music as I can while keeping everything well planned and quality control in mind. Huge things in store for the next 80 days. Things I can't speak about, but you'll know about soon. ;] And no, I'm not talking about getting signed. At least I don't think I am. 

What do you do in your spare time?
Lately my life has pretty much completely revolved around music and art, which I love. My housemates are all musical people so that helps.. so mostly in my spare time, I'm usually just hanging out or working on/witnessing other peoples music, either in the studio or live. But spare time is a rarity, though it may seem like it isn't with my life style. Always working on something in my head if not actively.

How many tracks have you relased?
Most people see Define Dreamer as the first EQ release ever, though it isn't. I did a few mixtapes before it but I see them as my warmup for doing Define Dreamer. But officially... adding in the tracks dropping on 11/21 (it's 11/17 today), around fifty? Yeah. Then I have a track on Chris Skillz' tape which is dropping the next day, and releases 12/5 and 12/25. stay tuned :)

What's your favorite part about being an artist?
The fact that as much I love what I do more than anything, other people truly do too (or at least what is produced). Hopefuly music is my full time job sooner than later, and most can't say that about their job.

Can you freestyle? Do you enjoy it? 
Yeah, I can haha. I'm definitely a penner above a freestyler, but I do enjoy it and consider myself pretty decent.

Anything you want to add? Anything you want to tell your fans?
You can do anything you set your heart and mind to. For real.

We so look forward to working more with EQ. Check out his facebook, website, and his youtube.

Article by Rebekah Frye of Beyond Good Vibes.
Special thanks to Banks Anderson.
Locations of Site Visitors