Monday, January 2, 2012

Q & A with Shannon Slaughter of County Clare

All questions are answered by Shannon Slaughter of County Clare.


How did you guys get started with music? Together ??  Well I was first attracted to Heather because of her singing, she’s just a really great singer.  I sent her a couple of songs to see if she was interested in recording them and she liked them a lot.  We knew that if we ever got together we music would definitely be a big part of who we were as a couple.  Personally, for me, I got started singing and playing an old Roy Rogers guitar on a footstool in my living room at age 2 – 3.  I have ALWAYS been a singer, I never remember not doing it.  Four guitar lessons at age 8, and I was hooked, been playing ever since.  What does is mean to you?  Well, it’s not what I do anymore, it’s really who I am.  I can’t imagine my life without music, although I believe I could cope because I have other loves as well.  I have and always will be a FAN, regardless of my level of musicianship.  When I hear really good music, and good singing, and creative songs, I get excited.


Who all have you worked with?  Professionally speaking – The Lost and Found, The Larry Stephenson Band, Melonie Cannon, The Lonesome River Band, Lou Reid and Carolina, along with my current personal band – Shannon and Heather Slaughter & County Clare 

Tell me about your solo work. How have you progressed through the years?  2011 was a huge year for me personally because I finally released my first solo project “The Sideman Steps Out”.  It had been in my mind for probably 10 – 12 years but I never found the time, money, or drive to just do it.  It’s done really well for us and we’ve gotten a lot of great reviews and spent quite a bit of time on a variety of bluegrass charts. 


What inspires your music? I pay attention to great songwriters more now, I enjoy writing lyrics that question a lot of concepts – love, politics, history’s mysteries, life (in general)   Each other? I do think we inspire each other to a certain extent… I’m a huge fan of Heather’s singing and playing and she has a really keen ear for harmony and arranging as well.   History?  As a history teacher it would be difficult to NOT let it be an inspiration.  It’s not as much right now in my life, because I’m teaching young students and I’ve been out of the content for a couple of years.  When I get back to the high school level I’m sure it will pick back up. 


Any favorite artists?  My favorite band (bluegrass) is Blue Highway.  They have all the components the great bands from any genre have.  They are GREAT songwriters, musicians, vocalists, and arrangers.  As far as individual artists I would include Shawn Lane (Blue Highway) who is featured prominently on my solo record as a vocalist, mandolinist and fiddler.  He is one of the great writers that just gets it man.  Tim Stafford (also Blue Highway) is probably my favorite guitar player and another great songwriter as well and I’ve cut several of his songs.  I have always liked Tony Rice’s guitar playing and he was my first guitar influence and is a seminal figure in this music.  I enjoy old country artists like Merle Haggard, George Jones, Keith Whitley and Conway Twitty.  I really dig Ray Charles’s singing, as well as Aretha Franklin and Jerry Lee Lewis; just phenomenal singers. 


How many instruments do you play? Really just one – Guitar.  I can pick out tunes on the mandolin when given time, and I can play some bass, but that’s about it.  Which ones? How long? I’ve been playing the guitar since I was 8 so – 35 years.  WOW!!  That’s a long time.  I play some electric guitar ( I have a Telecaster) but I lean more to the acoustic side of music in my playing. 



 
Tell me about your involvement with County Clare.  Well I guess I’m the bandleader and frontman.  I do pretty much all the booking, a lot of the lead singing, most of the writing, so I guess that qualifies me as the leader.  Haha.  I assist in all the arranging but I really want to create a democratic approach to the band so I value and respect all the people I work with and I encourage their input into the songs.


Tell me about The Working Man! How many purchases?  About 1,000 I’d say.  Doesn’t seem like many, but since I’m self-promoting it, I’ve been really pleased with sales.


What do you guys like to do in your free time?  What free time?  Haha.  I’m still coaching football (can’t get it out of my system yet), and playing in 2 bands, trying to promote a record, working full-time, and going to graduate school; so not much.  Seriously, I like to fish some, and play a little golf, I like to lift and run, and I like being the sample taster to all of Heather’s great dishes.
How long do you plan on being involved with music? Til I’m pushing up daisies in a corner lot at the church. 


Anything new in the works?  We just booked some studio time in July for an impending duet record.  It will feature Heather and I, along with some new band members, and some of the same guys on my solo project.  We’ve got some great songs and are still writing some as well.  Hopefully it will be released in early 2013. 


What's your favorite part about being musicians?  Traveling to new places, and hanging out with the fans.  Bluegrass Fans really are the best in the world!!!  They are so gracious and hospitable and they just love the artists so being around them as much as possible is awesome!! 


How do you categorize your music?  Bluegrass and Acoustic Country. 


Why and how do you write music?  It’s cathartic sometimes, it’s a challenge, and it’s really rewarding to write something that moves someone to a particular emotion.  Be it joy, sorrow, or whatever; I like to write songs that make people think.  That’s the why portion of this question.  As for the how?  Write down your feelings, find a cool line and build a song from that.  I don’t know how to explain it; books have been written about it. Haha. 


What is the purpose of your music?  I think, as stated in the above answer, to touch someone in some way that causes them to be moved to emotion and to leave our show having been entertained.

Anything you want to say as artists to Beyond Good Vibes? Our motto: For the love of music.  Keep on doing what you’re doing, don’t let anyone tell you what to do as an artist… it belongs to you!! 


I would like to personally thank Shannon for taking the time to interview with BGV. Please check his website for music, bios, and also great recipe ideas from his wife Heather.  


Q&A by Rebekah Frye of Beyond Good Vibes.
Locations of Site Visitors